Friday, June 7, 2013

Let's do a Ruffle Tote .

 
 
After a week, it is only today that I have been able to raise this second part of the tutorial.
Prepare the post it takes time, especially when it's a tutorial.
Maybe you're not going to believe me, but every time I write a post, the first thing I'll do is write all my text in Spanish and then, translate it into English.
 
 
 
 
 
In my previous post that you'll find it here, we finished the exterior of the tote and the handles. Also in another previous post, I showed how I made the fabric flowers, the link is here. Today we will continue with the rest, that is, make the lining and see how we do to attach the lining and the handles to the outer fabric of the tote.
 
 

Create a label
 
Before we start I want to tell you something, one of the things that I was trying to do last week was, make labels to add to my projects, I made many tests, I took several photos and I have the intention to prepare a tutorial to show you how to do custom labels.
Today I'll show you what I decided to do, although I created several varieties of labels, after several attempts, trying to make labels for this tote, I decided to do a transfer of my label directly to the fabric, instead of making the transfer to a ribbon and then have to sew it into the tote.
Look how it turned out.
 
 
 
 


Prepare the lining

The liner measures the same as the outside, for my tote I used  the following
measures:


I cut

 1 (14 x 36" ) exterior fabric, so...
 1 (14x 36")   for the lining.


The lining can be made ​​simple without pockets.
For my tote I decided to add two
types of pockets, on one side, I added a pocket  with a metal closure.




On the other side I did something simple like this.




Pin lining right sides together, aligning row edges  and sew together, leaving
7" of one side open
Don't sew the upper side




 


Attach the handles to the exterior fabric

In my previous post we saw how to do the handles, I finally cut them and the
final measure is 27 "long,




At this time, I'll put the two handles on the right side of the tote.

Usually, at this moment, I'll  sew by hand the handles , I use basting stitches, just to be sure that they will not move on the next steps.

With right sides together place the exterior fabric, inside the lining.



Aligning the row edges, pin,  and sew together
sew along the top edge of the tote, I did several rounds with the sewing
machine, a first seam 1/2 "from the edge, other seam closer and another 3/4"
from the edge. This part is where you have the handles and it must be really
hard.





Turn right side out by pulling the exterior fabric through the opening






 
We have to sew the opening by hand or with the sewing machine.



 
 


Place the lining inside the tote, and topstitch through all layers! 


 
 



Add the fabric flowers


At the end I added the flowers fabrics, I could not decide which one.






I finally decided to add the two, the back side of these flowers have a brooch,
so that we can put one or the other, according to the mood of the day.




We did it!



I want to tell you something, I have wanted to open an Etsy shop for a while, I
said to myself that if I could create 10 items I will do it, ok this is just the first.

 This ruffle tote is my first item for my future Etsy shop, yes!!! 
 





I just hope that my dream comes true this year!

I would like to do, necklaces, bracelets and wool accessories such as hats and
scarves. I have a goal, I have ideas , but what I'm missing is always time!!!

 But there is always a beginning and for me to have finished this ruffle tote is the beginning, I have other projects already begun, apart from a number of ideas that I'll share with  you all ,
 in the next posts.

For today, I just wish that you have enjoyed my explanations, I tried to do the best that I can.

 I will be waiting anxiously for your comments, it is a pleasure for me to read every one of your comments! Thanks for your visit, I hope you come back soon!
 Greetings to you all.
Enjoy!


Marisa.


I'm linking this project to  Mod Vingtage Life, Creating My Way to Success,  Threading My WaySew Many Ways,  Dolly's designs ( The Creative Blog Hop), The Chicken Chick, One Artsy Mama( Shine on Friday) , Sew Chatty ( Made With Love), Pieced Pastimes, All  Things Pretty , Petals to Picots, Dear Creatives, Happy Hour Friday, Crafts a la mode, Inspiring Creative Moments  and Sew Crafty Angel .
I'm linking also to Plucky's Blog Hop , Night Owl Venting ( Blog Hop) , My Turn ( for us) , Fun Friday Blog Hop, The Pin junkie and Let's get Social Sunday.


23 comments:

AnnMarie aka Vintage Junkie aka NaNa said...

Love this post! The tote is gorgeous! Rooting for you to get that Etsy shop open. That tote would go perfect with the ruffle muslin pants I just bought to wear to a wedding! Pinned this!

Unknown said...

This is a beautiful bag. You did a beautiful job. I think it will do wonderful on Esty. Come over and link it up to the hop today.
Angel @ sewcraftyangel.blogspot.com

Mers said...

Hi.. it is a gorgeous bag. I love the ruffles...

I got new projects featured on my blog, some new curtains for my spanish home and a chair coverlet.. if you have time, please have a look... we have the many things in common dearie.
http://challengingartsandcrafts.blogspot.co.at/2013/06/curtains-for-mediterranean-retreat.html

Raspberry Sunshine said...

Beautiful work! You did a wonderful job with the tote and the tutorial :) Thanks for sharing!

Cindy

migdalia said...

muy lindo tu bolso. sabes que hay un pie de maquina que se llama "side cutter II" es para maquina de pie bajo y te corta el exceso de tela y puedes realizar a la vez un zigzag pegado al borde. es como una "serger" barata. mi pie me costo en Amazon $17.00 dolares americanos. una abrazo

Pam @Threading My Way said...

BEAUTIFUL, Marisa!!! I'm sure you will reach your goal of opening an Etsy shop. When I find out how to get more time, I'll tell you... LOL!!!

Jeanna said...

Very elegant! I love your label :)

Butterfly In The Attic said...

Good morning, You have a very lovely blog. I am a new follower via BlogLovin from the blog hop. I would love it if you would stop by, follow and leave a comment at:
http://butterflyintheattic.blogspot.com/2013/06/sunnyland-summit-rancho-mirage.html

Also if you have a chance I am struggling to get my free-standing Online Shop going. Please stop by and like, tweet etc. Any help I can get is greatly appreciated. It is located at www.PostcardsIntheAttic.com

Have a blessed day
Colleen

Lynn Blaylock said...

Hey, I'm visiting from the "Sunday Social" I love your site. I enjoy sewing and I'm trying to learn to crochet. Nice to meet you.

Shelly Jack said...

Your bag is lovely! I really like the main fabric with the flowers on it :) Stopping by from Sew Darn Crafty Linky Party. Looking forward to seeing more of your beautiful creations!
Shelly Jack

Jill said...

GORGEOUS tote Marisa!!! And good luck with setting up your Etsy shop - I'm sure this tote would be a good seller!
Thanks for linking to a Round Tuit!
Hope you have a fabulous week!
Jill @ Creating my way to Success
http://www.jembellish.blogspot.com/

HomeFor4 said...

oh wow! that turned really beautiful marisa..

huggies♥
rea

Anonymous said...

Marisa I just love your tote,so fashionable !!! Im going to have a go at making one too. Keep your dream alive and you WILL get that Etsy shop. Sandy in Oz

Anonymous said...

What a great job your did on the ruffle tote....your tutorial on this project is great. Thank you for sharing with the Clever Chicks Blog Hop this week; I hope you’ll join us again!


Cheers,
Kathy Shea Mormino

The Chicken Chick

http://www.The-Chicken-Chick.com

Crafts a la Mode said...

Great tutorial! I'm loving the bag. Please come and link this to What to do Weekends party. This is a wonderful project for a weekend, don't you think? Best wishes, Following Linda

http://www.craftsalamode.com/2013/06/what-to-do-weekends-24.html

Pam @Threading My Way said...

Hi Marissa, I've featured your tote today... http://www.threadingmyway.com/2013/06/threading-your-way-features_15.html

Bente said...

Love your bag. So very beautiful.
I`m your new follower.

Have a nice day

~Anchored In Christ~ said...

Hey! Come join my "Sunday Fun Day" blog hop. and share with others http://pinkowl07.blogspot.com/2013/06/sunday-fun-day.html

pat in NY said...

Marisa, just joined your post today. I am totally in love with your ruffle tote. It is so beautiful. I am going to try my hand at making one. I sure hope it comes out as great as yours.
I haven't explored your blog yet, but if you are as creative with your other projects, you will have a successful Etsy shop. Keep working toward your goal. Your new follower. Pat.

Theresa said...

Oh, I just love your ruffled tote! Thanks for sharing @ DearCreatives.com Theresa PS. can't wait to see what your up to next!

Crafts a la Mode said...

My sister and I were thrilled with your tutorial on how to make a ruffled bag so we featured you!! All features are pinned! Thanks so much for joining What to do Weekends Party. Linda

http://www.craftsalamode.com/2013/06/what-to-do-weekends-25.html

Nita Stacy said...

Super cute tote! So glad you found my blog. I'm following you now. Can't wait to see all the stuff you'll have in your Etsy shop.

Ana Love Craft said...

Wow!!! This is so gorgeous, Marisa! Love it!!!Ruffles, roses and the colors are super cute.Thanks for sharinggreat tutorial.
Have a wonderful weekend!
Hugs from Portugal,

Ana Love Craft
www.lovecraft2012.blogspot.com

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...